September 17, 2010

Prepping the Body for Baby

I always knew that I wanted to have children. For many years I also assumed it would be something to happen just because I wanted it to. I was understandably naive to the troubles and drama of TTC. Within the last year, as my uterus started aching for babies, I began doing preliminary "research" on fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting (including following other lesbian TTC/family blogs- which are SO helpful its insane). Upon reading said literature, I realized that just having a kiddo by sheer force of will was impossible. I also realized that just having a kiddo on the first try was not likely. This was admittedly disappointing...

However, it also opened my eyes to the importance of preparing for a baby- not just emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and (of course) financially- but also physically. I've been chubby for the past decade and let's face it- college is not exactly a model of healthy living. Though I don't drink/smoke/etc anymore, I realize that those habits aren't the only ones worth breaking. Its a much more holistic picture that I need to be looking at- quite literally, head-to-toe. So I sat down and really started pondering the best way to approach a new, healthier life.

In February I joined Weight Watchers online and have since lost 60-ish pounds and several dress sizes (yay!). Starting in June, Prudence and I also began a training program called "Couch to 5k" and completed our first 5k race just this past Sunday (also, yay!). My life has reached a turning point and I know there's no turning back. At this point we're training for a 10k and my clothes just keep getting baggier. The way we eat is drastically different. For about 2 years now, we've been trying to "eat healthier" but we honestly had no idea what that meant. Through WW and a LOT of reading, reading, reading....I was able to really get a sense of what should be going in my body.

With that being said, my goal is to spend the next 2 years doing everything I can to create the healthiest body possible before trying to get preggo. I realize that won't guarantee instant success, full-term babies, easy pregnancy, seamless labors, or even a healthy babe...but I will feel much more at ease knowing I spent my time before, during, and after this experience actively taking care of my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment